CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

PROTECT MARRIAGE

Annie and I went and heard Elder Ballard and Elder Cook speak about proposition 8 today. I know that alot of people that read our blog live outside California, but it's good information to have. Earlier this year 4 California judges overturned the wishes of 61% of voters by legalizing same-sex marriage. At first I wasn't really sure how that would affect us, but since then I've learned a lot. I put a few links to Yes on Prop 8 Sites on the blog for more information. Basically it would infringe on our rights to believe what we want. It would be seen at hate speech to teach that marriage should be between a man and a woman. It would be taught to elementary school kids that same sex marriage is just like regular marriage. Churches could lose their tax exempt status if they are seen as being intolerant. Catholic Charities in Boston has already had to shut down their adoptions agency to avoid having the state force them to let homosexual couples adopt. The more I think about this the more I'm fired up to VOTE YES ON 8. I don't want any teacher telling Zoe it's ok to marry another girl. I should also mention that under California Law, registered domestic partners have all of the same rights as a married couple. I really liked how Elder Ballard explained tolerance. Tolerance is loving the person, not accepting their actions. I love everyone as a son or daughter of God, but I don't want to be seen as intolerant just becuase I am not willing to bend on my morals or values. Here is the LDS site on the issue http://www.preservingmarriage.org/.

1 comments:

Brenda said...

Thanks for posting about this very important topic. Though I am not living in CA, I appreciate the information.