I have never really been a fan of politics, especially after following so closely the debate over Prop 8. I do not understand why people are not willing to say what they really mean. Over the last few weeks the opposition has accused the Yes on 8 campaign of lying about whether or not same sex marriage will be taught in school. I looked at the education code and it's pretty clear to me.
Section 51933(7) clearly states: Instruction and Materials shall teach respect for marriage and committed relationships.
Section 51890 (1D) describes the curriculum for health education grades K-12 stating that the following will be taught: Family health and Child Development, including the legal and financial aspects and responsibilities of marriage and parenthood.
Although I reserve the right to fight for my beliefs, I do not fault others for having different beliefs than me. If they really believe that same sex marriage is OK, then why aren't they supporting it being taught in schools. Why are they hiding it? They know that people don't want their children reading "King and King" in 2nd grade without the right to be notified and opt out of the lesson. They know that Prop 8 will pass if people really understand the ramifications of changing the definition of a fundamental institution of society. It's not about tolerance with them, it's about them trying to force their beliefs and values upon me and the rest of California. The whole point of a set of values is to govern behavior. If values constantly change, then anything goes.
I still have not heard an argument that carries any weight from the opposition. Same sex couples enjoy all the same rights under the registered domestic partnership as married couples do.
0 comments:
Post a Comment